Can you believe that the end of the year giving season is upon us? Have you planned your year-end appeal? Remember, 30% of all giving happens in December!
There can be no doubt that 2020 brings some interesting and unique challenges, from the COVID-19 pandemic to the election season, but that 30% figure is not likely go down. As a matter of fact, many people might even be more generous than ever due to everything that is going on in the world.
As you are working through your year-end fundraising plans, don't forget to include your nonprofit website as a part of your strategy. Too often, we concentrate on the direct mail piece or email marketing and neglect our website! Here are some do's and don'ts and some tips that will help to make sure your website shines and connects your supporters to your year-end fundraising.
Your supporters will likely visit several nonprofit websites as they plan out their year-end donations. Not only that, the friends and family they have told will probably visit your website to learn more about your organization before donating. Additionally, people might be looking to contribute to a specific cause such as "helping the homeless in my area," and find your website in the search results and, ultimately, visit your site. Don't leave your potential donors hanging! Your website should feature CTAs (Calls to Action) that invite your potential donor and potential new supporters to your year-end fundraising campaign and landing page.
Follow these best practices:
- Add a link to your year-end fundraiser on the main menu of your website.
- Include a clear and compelling headline, story, and call to action along with some striking, impactful images or graphics on the homepage. Make sure donors can clearly see and understand what their dollars are going to support.
- Add a button to each page of your website. Make your button prompt action. Instead of the usual, "Donate Now," use "Count Me In," or "I Am A Changemaker."
- Add a countdown timer on the top of the home page to show urgency.
- Make sure your donors know their online donation for your year-end campaign is secure.
These simple changes will help your website do some of the heavy-lifting as part of your year-end fundraising strategy.